Thursday, July 7, 2011

The next morning proved to be great. In fact the whole day was great. I can't stop thinking about what an awesome day we both had. It started off early as Michael and I both walked a few blocks to a an authentic bakery and deli where we bought bagels and lox with cream cheese, to bring back for everyone. I can't wait to get back home and find more of this for breakfast.

A thoroughly satisfying breakfast led us to our first stop of the day. We put our best foot forward on the John F Kennedy, a ferry that harbored passengers back and forth from Manhattan to Staten Island. Free of charge we were able to view the Statue of Liberty from afar. As lady Liberty passed us we took the occasional photo before docking, and then getting back on the ferry. Back in Manhattan after viewing the other side of the ferry's journey it was on to the subway again. We would get off and walk along Wall Street, those fat cat bastards, then walk by the Trinity Church. Eventually we would end up at the sight of the WTC. With tons of excavation and construction they are was very busy, but we clicked off a few shots at the new towers being built, and just waited for a moment. In this moment of contemplation we remembered 9/11 ever so briefly at such a historic and tragic site. We even had to pay former Major Rudi Giuliani ten cents in order to say 9/11.


On the way out we even caught a glimpse of some film shooting for the show White Collar on USA. (Hailey you know what's up.) Keeping up with tradition I stopped into a Jos. A bank and bought some nice dress shirts and ties before leaving for our next sight. From here we would head to the Brooklyn Bridge. Among the other hoards of tourists we'd walk across taking photo after photo of the bridge and surrounding beauty, and occasionally get yelled at by bikers. Our sole purpose to make it to the other side was for Grimauldi's famous pizza. This classic coal brick oven roasted pizza place had people lined out the door waiting to get inside. A traditional New York thin crust sausage and pepperoni pizza waited inside. Standing in line for 15 minutes or so we passed the time by staring at girls, until it was our chance to take a table. Oh yeah it was great. We savored the flavors unsure whether we should gobble it up, or try and slow down such a momentous lunch.




Not wanting to walk all the way back across the bridge through the crowds in the hot sun, we decided to find a subway station. From there we would ride it to Times Square. What a place. I thought LA was plastered with billboards; this place had every spare inch advertising or flashing some game, movie, show etc. Wandering aimlessly we took pictures and popped into stores. At a certain point, and I still can't tell you what led us into this store, we happened to go into a Billabong Surf store.


Looking around not really interested in anything particular I was approached by a beautiful employee. A little dumbstruck at first I didn't realize she was asking if she could help me with anything in the store. Snapping out of my trance, the first thing I thought to say was, “No thank you”. Because who ever wants or needs someone following them around the store. But something was different. She seemed less interested in helping me buy something but more so just generously interested in what I had to say. She was so friendly it caught me off guard. Her cute Irish accent and pretty green eyes had captured me.

I learned her name was Zita as we exchanged pleasantry's. Later I would learn that she finds herself shy when approaching people in the store, so i'd hate to imagine what would have happened if she let that get the best of her. Not a care in the world where Michael was at, Zita and I continued to talk. She let me look around the store some more, but I kept coming back to her. She asked what I was doing in New York, and what I had seen. I asked her the same. Rushing through an array of topics at one point we stumbled upon Irish dancing. I told her how my family has traveled to Dublin Ireland for Jake's World Champion Irish dancing competition. (Jake I think I may owe you one for this conversation starter) We discussed Irish dancing a bit, and the lack of clarity I have when viewing it. It got to the point where Zita had me practice my 1-2-3 steps in the store, and when a gorgeous girl like that asks you practice your 1-2-3's you don't say no. I hadn't noticed but after I would learn that Michael and most everyone else in the store was chuckling to themselves at the sight of me. Oh well, no worries.

Time and time again we would approach one another continuing our conversation learning about one another. By this time Zita's manager's began keeping a close eye on us. It was a bit obvious what I was up to, distracting her from work. Not wanting to get her in trouble Zita directed me over to a part of the store where I could get socks or a belt for cheap. This actually worked out beautifully later in the trip as I ran out of socks and had these to use, plus I had forgotten to bring a belt, so kudos. With Michael no where I sight, I wanted to spend more time with Zita, hear more from her, and maybe get a different view of the city. Approaching 3:45 and after spending nearly 2 hours in Billabong I finally mustered up enough courage to ask Zita what she was doing later. I had hoped I wasn't coming off as too forward or creepy, she simply smiled and told me to come back at 4:15 after she gets off work. I was walking in the clouds, ecstatic and excited for the time to pass.

I stepped outside and wandered around a bit, before calling Mike to see where he had gone to. He too was just looking around Times Square looking into a few shops and stores. We met up at the base of Times Square and people watched for a bit on the red-bleachers. After a few moments we walked into the giant M&M's store, and a couple more tourist shops to pick up some items. Around 4:15 I stopped back in and waited for Zita. Mike got the heads up that he could leave, (sorry man) as Zita walked up in a change of clothes. I wasn't too sure what to do in such a big city, I was going to let her lead.

So then what was the first thing we did, head into a Forever 21 of course. It wasn't really my scene, but we were on the look out for a specific kind of shoe, and possibly a dress. Searching down the aisles we were unable to find what was needed and decided to head back out to Times Square. From here Zita would take me into Flanagan's, an Irish Pub. Not being exactly 21 until September this could have been a bit of a bump in the road. The great friend that Mike was, he had lent me his expired id back in New Orleans. Zita and I made a quick game plan going over if something were to happen. Explaining to me that a disheveled and stressed Irish woman can damn near get anyhting she please there wasn;t a problem at all. Up at the bar we ordered a pint each, and they checked our I.d.'s The bar man glanced at her passport but stared a bit more intently at my I.d, before finally settling. With a beer in hand we walked over to table and enjoyed each other's company.

We talked for two hours or so sipping our beers and sharing an order of fries. The conversation ranged from our lives, family's, experiences, thoughts, etc. Deciding to leave and walk around a bit we tried to search for the toy store FAO Schwartz. That was kind of a fail, (Zita unfortunately I was just told that is a big toys r us now in its place, sorry). Instead we stopped in at Trinity church. Here we would quietly wander the aisles looking at all the holy artifacts and stained glass. Zita touched a lot of them as we walked out. It's one of those quarky habits. For the most part we just walked the streets of NY and talked. We stopped in at Central Park and journeyed around some more taking in the sights and sounds, stopping at the pond at a nearby grassy knoll. We'd sit and lay down, listening to one anther and the noise around us.

After nearly six hours Zita had to take the train home. Down one block after the next we made our way to Grand Central Station. It was truly a spectacular day, relaxing in New York, making a new friend, but unfortunately it had to come to an end. We said our goodbyes and Zita hopped on a train. With a sigh I walked back into the main hall and looked up at the starry ceiling. Slowly I made my way out and walked towards Times Square. Here I would snap of a couple more shots, seeing a whole new side of this area. I grabbed a subway train and made my way back to the apartment.

Michael was outside waiting to let me in and hear about my day. I would go and hit the sack, but not before explaining my day, and hearing the rest of his. In comparison he had a pretty good day too. After Billabong, Mike took the Times Square subway home and spent quality time with the family. They would grill veggies and skirt steak on the bbq located on the fire escape. After some family time, and a nice meal, Michael contacted an old coworker and friend from Chico named Jackie. Living in New York Jackie would subway over to Mike who was waiting outside. The two of them would go hit up the town, catch up, and have a few drinks. I think it's safe for the both of us to say that it was in fact an amazing day.



Once again Zita, thanks for a great New York adventure. I'm glad I met you. Hope your dream to become a fashion designer comes true.

As you blogsters out there can see, these days in the big city are pretty extensive, filled with a lot. I can assure you though that after Boston things begin to settle down and not so much happens in a day. Hoping to pump out a few more of these for ya, thanks for following.

I <3 NY (SF you're still #1)

No comments:

Post a Comment